Monday, December 06, 2004

Hell hath no fury like a bloke without connection

I had already rehearsed in my head last night what I want to convey to those folks at Singtel first thing tomorrow morning...and that basically was that I'm really annoyed with their service standards.

The story:
Our household has 2 lines - one for common use and the other for the internet. As my bro is planning to switch to broadband soon, we've decided to cancel the latter. But it turned out that those clowns got the wrong idea and ended up terminating both our lines. So we called them up Sat morning to clarify the situation and was told that our main line wld be reconnected by the end of the day. Fast forward to Sun morning - I picked up the phone to check and guess what?! It was still dead! How not to be pissed?! They promised 1 day and then what?! Do they conveniently pay all their customers lip-service just to get them off their backs, even if it's for a while?!

So I tell myself I'm not going to let it go so easily this time. I will give them a piece of my mind...and I'm going to be very vocal abt my displeasure. How dare they!!!

Finally the (bitchin') hour came. I picked up my handphone and dialled their hotline.
*ring* *ring*....
Welcome to Singtel 1609 residential enquiries. For english, please press 1...
*toot*
All our customer service officers are engaged at the moment...please hold....

grrrrr....

*ring* *ring*....
a cheery voice came on...
Good morning. This is Singtel residential enquiries hotline, how can I help you?
Hi...I have 2 phonelines at home...blah blah blah...
I was told it will be done by Sat, but until now, it's still disconnected.
(raise voice slightly) You all were closed yesterday, so I was effectively left without a phoneline for 2 whole days!

And that was it! - the nastiest thing I cld muster throughout the whole conversation.
I didn't even ask for her name!!! One thing I learnt from my MPH days was that u shd always get their names down so that whatever they say carry more weight.
*sigh*
Don't ask me what happened to my speech. Once again, I've let myself down. I just can't seem to go on the offensive, especially not when the other party seems so unsuspecting.
But I guess as a consolation...at least I did make her give me her re-assurance that my case will be settled by today, though without a name, that's actually just as good as nothing.

Well, she said she needs to investigate and will call back later. And so I waited.

3 hours later, I tried calling back home to see if all was already back to normal. And yet again, the "number-not-in-use" message came on.

@#%*$#
That's it. The last straw.

I immediately called their hotline again.
This time, I only meant to check with them on their progress...but somehow while re-narrating what happened to yet-another customer service officer (the lucky girl)...things got heated and the agitation in my voice became very obvious:
"Look, I DON'T want you all to tell me that it will be done and when I check back again, the problem HAS NOT been resolved"
"How many times do I need to call?!?!?!!"
"THIS IS REALLY INEFFICIENT!!!!"

I looked up and my supervisor & colleague were all staring at me.
Man it felt good!!!

Then slowly a tint of remorse started creeping in...
Maybe I shdn't have taken it out on the lady. It was just unfortunate that for as long as we spoke, she represented the freakin' organisation.

But whatever it was, it clearly worked 'cos right after it became code red, she went into "disaster diffusing" mode and got right down to rectifying my problem straightaway.
In less than an hour, I was informed my line had been restored.

I won't make this a habit; I'm one for peaceful dialogue, but I suppose with some ppl, it's the best way to get things done.
Always remember, when push comes to shove...they made me do it.

No comments: