Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Whose name is it anyway?!

It is one thing to give ur child one of those fanciful or exotic sounding names, but quite another to pick that particular name thinking it was pronounced the way u pronounced it.

Case in point: Javiar.

I've just heard over the radio a mother pronouncing it as Jay-vi-ar when it should rightfully be Har-vi-aer.

And then there's Adele.
My sister thought it was A-de-le and realised only after she'd chosen it as her confirmation name that it was really A-dell.

So what happens when u find out ur name was based on a mispronounciation???

Change it?

The spelling or the pronounciation?

Then again, this being Singapore, everybody's probably gonna pronounced it the same way as u did, so why bother...

But I can't help wondering, in a situation like this, who gets to decide how the name is supposed to be pronounced.
Consider this: say I call myself John but I spell it as P-A-U-L (ok a 'lil extreme I know, but let's ignore the sound of the alphabets for now). Conventionally, P-A-U-L is of course pronounced as Paul. But if I were to insist that where my name is concerned, it's pronounced John, should everyone not make an exception and go along with that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell me abt it!

I had a colleague whose name is spelled D-I-N-A-H but she requested that we pronounce it as D-E-A-N-N-A.

Kiv said...

Not just to spite u i hope.