Strange Places
| Indonesia, the world's most extensive archipelago with more than 17,504 islands in its boundaries, recently revealed that 9,634 islands are still nameless, due to low budget allocation for surveys and data gathering. This year, however, naming efforts will focus on islands in Riau, East Kalimantan, North Sulawesi, North Maluku, East Nusa Tenggara and Papua - STI |
There was this game my bro and I used to play as kids while waiting for the school bus. We wld imagine the various plots of grass patches (carved out by the network of concrete pavements) to be islands and wld go abt playing Columbus. And part of the fun for me when we've "made a discovery" was in choosing a name for the place.
Well it sure wld be interesting to do a photo project on these yet-unnamed Indonesian islands, if only I have the means and resources.
Such subject matters involving geography and land appeal to my curiosity.
In that way, I find Jonas Bendiksen's stories about non-existent (unrecognised?) countries and isolated enclaves fasinating.
No comments:
Post a Comment