Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Birthday Musings

Every year my KL cousins will make it a point to call me up on my birthday to wish me. And they'll almost always follow that up with a "so how did u celebrate ur birthday???". To which I'll be hard-pressed for an answer.
Simply because I'm not one to make a big fuss out of birthdays. Yes, it was the day I was born some XX years back and in that way, it's special. But apart from that, I dun see why I or anyone else shd bother trying so hard to make it memorable (though that's not to say I dun appreciate the efforts of anyone who did).

When my siblings and I were younger, there wld always be cake-cutting over candles and a song, courtesy of my Mom who seemed to feel that she wld've let us down otherwise. But in recent years, the plan has evolved into dinner together as a family on the weekend closest to the actual date, with cakes optional. So today was a day like any other for me. Or to put it more accurately since in my work no 2 days are quite the same, a day that cld've been any other. An afternoon chilling out at The Shangri-La with Kelvin Tong of 'The Maid' fame and a launch party in the evening at Clarke Quay's Central Square, where I was treated to a wide spread of good food that included sushi, pasta, an assortment of Thai cruisine, ice-blended coffee and 2 scoops of Haagen-Dazs ice cream at the end of it. Tiramisu and Macadamia Nut - mmm mmm.

I have to say, I cldn't be more grateful for how things have turned out over the past year to have led me to where I am right now. While I dun exactly know if this is it - the life I want for myself for the rest of my years ahead, what I do know for certain is that this is at least an experience I wanna have at some point in my life. So to be here, I feel fulfilled in a way; Glad that for all that I've hope for and want for myself, when I look at the checklist, it's not with a sense that I've accomplished nothing, though I can tell u it's not much either. But it's enough to keep the onset of a quarter-life crisis at bay.
For now. =)

To all who have sent me birthday greetings via sms, msn or have given me a buzz, I thank you once again for keeping me in your thoughts. And for those who didn't, no worries...I'm not the sort who makes a deal over small stuff like that or reads too much into it.
If not for my trusty handphone, I probably wldn't hv remembered the birthdays of 90% of the ppl I know as well.

No comments: