Thursday, May 26, 2005

Say what?!

Addresser, Addressee...
I can never seem to get it right.
So who's who again?

2 comments:

Tym said...

Addressee --- person being addressed aka person whose address is on the snailmail envelope.

Addresser --- I've never heard this used before, so I'll use the definition off dictionary.com: "One, such as a person or a machine, that addresses."

The former is common enough, but the latter, even thusly defined, just sounds plain weird to me.

Kiv said...

I went into a post office the other day and the lady at the counter told me to fill in my own address when I queried. Yesterday, I went into another post office and this time, the staff there said to copy down the address I have on my envelope.

So obviously I'm not the only confused soul here.

I suppose it's similar to how "employee" and "employer" works, but in this instance, I become unsure when I start considering who comes first.