Friday, July 01, 2005

Backfired

Oftentimes, success does not only depends on one's ability and willingness to work hard, but also on the opportunities that are given to the individual. If the latter doesn't exist, how does one expect the former to manifest itself?

Therefore I conclude... u may know it within urself that u're perfectly capable of handling a certain project, but if no one recognises this potential, it's not gonna get u the opportunity. And so, this I suppose is where marketing comes in.

A colleague tells me: If u're not willing to play the PR-game, to raise ur profile and make an effort at selling urself, then you're not gonna see the due rewards, no matter how talented or abled you are. The real world doesn't dish out rewards proportionately only to your abilities, efforts and contribution, but also in accordance with perceptions and impressions.

In other words, substance is not only all that matters.
Yes, sad but true. For some at least.
But for others, that's probably a good thing.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I don’t know how long it’ll take me to get over the fact that I missed out on $1170 just because my previous supervisor chose to give me a 3 instead of a 4 for my ratings. And the worst thing is I’ll probably have to swallow this whole ‘cos I dun feel like getting confrontational, especially when it doesn’t and shdn’t really matter anymore. After all, he doesn’t owe it to me to give me a good grade. What’s done is done and there’s nothing I can do abt it now.

Yet, it bothers me.

A lot.

I kept thinking why he cldn’t give me an average grade like everyone else. I mean, was I that inept that he finds it a compromise on his own integrity if he were to do so?! I’m not even asking for the sky here!
What more, he’d already resigned at the time when he was filling up our appraisal, so it really made very little sense to me ‘cos if I were in his shoes, I’ll probably give everyone a 5 just to punish the company and make them pay for it!

Now thanks to him, I might even have to dig from my own pockets to compensate for my not being able to serve out the full one month’s notice. If I’d known better, I wldn’t even hv bothered taking all this trouble to hold out for the bonus. In fact, had I gone with my original plan, I wld still have some money for keeps from encashing my remaining leave day.

How not to be upset abt losing the $1170 that cld’ve made all the difference?!

2 comments:

Terz said...

Hmm. We all gotta learn the PR game some time. Might as well start ASAP, use the one month to polish it up...

Kiv said...

It comes more naturally to some ppl and I recognise that I'm not one of them.
But ya, something for me to work on.
However, not sure if this one month is the best time to do so 'cos it's not everyday that u get to speak ur mind and not worry abt getting fired or blacklisted.
hehe