Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Operation National Day

Have yet to come across another country as obsessed as Singapore over it’s National Day celebrations.
If u ask me, the parade itself is fast becoming an economy on it’s own. Massive disruptions, road closures, frenzy over tickets - all that craziness.
And so, every year at this time, the local media has to allocate a certain amount of their resources to cover the event. Not just on the actual day, mind you, but on all the other weekends as well that the rehearsals were on.

Presumably, our little team of 6 was out in full force today. I was stationed at Yishun to cover the celebrations at the heartland since I happen to be living only 5 mins away. But I tell u, if I weren’t on duty, I wldn’t even go anywhere near the action. The weather was hot, there were ppl everywhere, traffic was at a standstill (u shd see the buses queuing up to leave the interchange) and most of the roads in the vicinity were cordoned off (as a result, I took an additional 25 mins to reach home because I had to walk in big circles). I suppose the biggest winner tonight hv got to be the hawkers of the coffeeshops nearby. Their tills were working so hard they look like they were threatening to go up in smoke.

Some pictures I submitted for the paper...



NDP@Yishun

NDP@Yishun

NDP@Yishun

NDP@Yishun

NDP@Yishun

NDP@Yishun

NDP@Yishun

NDP@Yishun















...along with 2 that will never see the light of day (not unless it's LKY or Nathan's mug on the screen on that last picture).

NDP@Yishun

NDP@Yishun

Purely for my own keepsake.

No comments: