Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Truth and Dare

You sometimes wonder if the replies you give on the spot are the most truthful.
A very articulate woman - one Margaret Kent, who published a NYT bestseller entitled 'How to Marry the Man of Your Choice' - caught me off-guard this afternoon while I was tuning in to the interview, and shot me a random question:
"What is it about women that you'd like to change?"

And I honestly have no ready answers. But after a moment of silence, off the top of my head, I uttered, "I'd like them to be more independent."

Which i had to admit, was for me a 'lil bit of a surprise initially when it rolled off my tongue. Though I do mean it.
In fact, I still can't think of a more satisfactory answer.

But there were no further elaborations, and no additional probing either.
Until we stood up to take our leave.

Then came another question.
I was pointed to one of the two girls standing before me and challenged to guess, just from her mere appearance alone, what she does. Not publishing, I was told.

"PR. Public Relations."

Now the why.
"Why do you say so?"

Tough.
An uncomfortable pause.

"Because her dressing is stylish. And she is standing in a confident manner."

Surely that's non-offensive without coming across as too diplomatically fake (smart decision to withhold mention of cleavage).
"So would you go over and introduce yourself? Ask her for a date?"

Good grief. Is this a test?
I hesistated for a bit, hoping she'll leave it as that, but all eyes remained on me. Waiting.

"err...no."

So I walked away with the sense that I'd somehow contradicted myself.

No comments: