Monday, December 31, 2007

Conquer the World: Checked

With Bhutto's assassination, I suppose it's safe to assume the Pakistan trip has been postponed indefinitely.
But that doesn't bother me too much, 'cos next month I'd be heading to Viva Las Vegas. Or rather I shd say, to the Grand Canyon since that's really the part that excites me the most.

I don't even remember liking "I'll-hv-one-of-those" Vegas.

That said, I wonder why us photogs can't just go on trips in exchange for pictures rather than words. And of all things, tech shit. Always tech shit. Absolutely dreadful.
Whenever I enter into such agreements (not that I have a choice), it takes half the pleasure out of the whole junket even before it begins.
But it is how it is, and so I shd be grateful for the internet. ;)

I wonder too if I shd extend and go off somewhere for a while. Somewhere like New York City wld be a hoot.
Except that NYC isn't exactly right next to Nevada - not even close - so it's gonna involve a plane ride. Which considering the amount of extra time that I can possibly get, might prove to be a bit of a stretch.
So perhaps on a more realistic note, I should settle for somewhere a 'lil nearer.
Like San Francisco, my next favorite US destination.

But wherever I go, extending would mean having to burn some leave days. Which in turn will mean I'll no longer be equipped with the full amount if and when I do take a real break in March and fly off to a desired faraway place.
At which time I know I'd surely think to myself: Dammit.
After spending this much money in getting myself to Europe, I cld've stayed on a couple of days more had I not squander my leave allowance without considering this in the first place.

Thus the dilemma.

How nice if NYC were just located say in China (Shanghai doesn't count) or anywhere in East Asia. Then I'll not have to think so hard where I wanna run away to in the coming year.

A few months back, I was already quite set on Germany, but recent conversations with a few friends doesn't sound too encouraging.
Spain is very nice.
England is very nice.
France is very, very nice.
But nary a word on Germany.
No gushing whatsoever.

Maybe it's too "unhappening", which is fine by me as long as the place is safe, easy to navigate and affordable and friendly accomodations abound.
And now -not that there's much connection to the last thought - I'm reminded of a work friend who told me about how he picked up smoking and drinking while backpacking in Europe for 3 months. What I can't quite fathom was how before this, he claimed to be one of those who'd actively discourage his friends from lighting up, and not just, like me, tolerate the habit in spite of my personal opinion against it.
He doesn't know why either.

Guess u can call that life-changing.

No comments: