Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Sanity isn't Statistical

They don't come anymore glamourous than this:
A blurb for my birthday and my second police report in less than a year.



This is starting to make me feel like such a bad boy already. But of course my friend was quick to remind me that I am at best, only remotely dangerous.
(ya, ya)

Which brings to mind the times I have shoplifted erasers and cheated on bus fares.
Youth was my excuse then...but I've since been reformed.



On the occasion of my turning thirty, it's reassuring (and yes, heartwarming) to know that I have good friends. Or more accurately, friends who really do care and will make an effort to hv me know I'm not just another person they've come to know.
Sometimes I wonder if I've been just as appreciative or attentive. If I'm not too self-absorbed (perhaps this thought just confirms it).

Life is full of paradoxes. Even within yourself you can have so many conflicting thoughts that contradict one other and yet not be able to figure out which exactly you believe in or stand for. And it is much too short to hv a manual with 101 guidelines. But then, when are you living it and when are you compromising (possibly even without you realizing)?
It's a fine line between the latter and giving yourself a chance.

So I figured the root cause of it all is really just my curiosity - plain and simple.
At the end of my life, I wld like to have tried it all; to experience everything for myself and know what it is like.
'When' is not so much an issue for me.

Yet that's exactly what you can never be sure about.
There are things that are entirely a matter of personal choice. Those you can be patient because it happens when you decide for it to happen.
But there are also those that you just have no control over, and can only hope it's in the pipeline somewhere sometime further down the road.
Such uncertainty naturally breeds anxiety, and it is precisely this that often tempts one into considering "alternatives". Which then makes you question if you're not being true to yourself.

There are times when I just wished to be let out of this game. Either get it over and done with, or go live a hermit existence in some secluded island and stay completely detached from "the ways of the world".

Finally, a quote to seek comfort in...from a very wise man:

"Being in a minority, even a minority of one, did not make you mad. There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad.
Sanity is not statistical."

No comments: