Thursday, January 27, 2005

The Visitor

Without first asking or even so much as informing, she takes at least 2 oranges from the shelf and plop them into her bag everyday when she's about to leave home. And I saw her quietly munching on the new year cookies last night. She makes it a point to fill her stomach before she heads out and would always come back for dinner in order to save money. She likes the vegetable my mom prepared the other day and nearly ate it all up without nary of a thought for those who haven't eaten. She automatically brought out her pile of clothes - including underwear - when she noticed my mom fiddling with the washing machine. At my sister's new flat, it didn't even occur to her that the bedrooms might be out-of-bounds or private. She just checks out wherever she feels like checking out.

And u know what? We don't even know her! Not really.
She's just an ex of my cousin brother who left her just before they were supposed to go on a trip to Europe together. So prior to her short stay half a year ago while on transit here, we haven't seen or heard of her. Yet she boldly showed up at our doorstep alone and proceeded to make herself feel right at home the next few days.

This time, it's for a whole week.

It's not that I'm incapable of being generous or hospitable, but I tend to be kinder to those who do not take things for granted or assume too much. As guests, I believe we ought to observe basic house manners and keep ourselves in check even when the hosts seemed friendly enough. What gets on my nerve is straight-up 'not shy' behavior. And I don't think it's fair to attribute it all to a difference in culture.
C'mon, you're old enough to have an idea.

No comments: