Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Will power

An excerpt taken off the book I'm currently reading - 'Empire Falls' by Richard Russo.

"You're too modest, dear boy. I've often thought you should run for political office."
Miles decided not to remind her that he'd run for school board twice and been elected.

"Are you offering me a job?"

"You overestimate the extent of my influence, dear boy." She smiled. "You're rather like your mother in that respect. But then, people are forever confusing will with power, don't you find? I have a theory about why, if you're interested."

"Why I'm like my mother," Miles asked, finally taking his seat, "or why people confuse will with power?"

"The latter," she said. "After all, there's nothing very mysterious about why you take after your mother, is there. Your father isn't exactly the sort of man who inspires imitation. No, people confuse power with will because so few of them have the foggiest idea what they want. Absent any knowledge, will remains impotent. A limp dick, as it were."

She regarded him, eyebrow arched. "The lucky few who happen actually to know what they want are said to have will-power."

"That's all it takes?"

"Well, let's call it a necessary beginning."

No comments: