Monday, February 27, 2006

Just Do It.

I tell u what's ironic.

8 months back, I bought myself a 20D a week before I started work as a PJ. And that being my first digital camera ever, I hv to say I was pretty clueless abt all the complicated-sounding functions like white-balance and what not.
The pictures from my early assignments I was told, all showed a colour cast. So a fellow colleague decided to help me check through my settings and figure out my camera. From there he discovered that all this time, I've been shooting with the red filter on because the previous owner had left it as that and I obviously didn't reset it back, not knowing better myself.

Well till today, believe it or not, I'm not very much wiser.

My knowledge is strictly limited to the basic operations, which is enough actually to get me by each day. So I've never really gone on to explore and discover the other stuff on the side. Which I shd but I haven't.

And that's why I was squirmish this evening when my editor came over and asked if I'll be willing to go to Da Nang (Vietnam) for a tech-review kind of assignment. In a nutshell, Canon will be conducting some lessons there (for who exactly I have no idea) to promote their latest product, the 30D. So my job will be to try the camera out and address (ie. write on) the technical aspects of it - the details of which hv only been conveyed sketchily to me as of now.

I dunno what to say, really.
Of course I have my reservations; me being the most untechnical PJ u can find in the whole of Singapore, JB and some say Batam.
I mean, what gives?!

Yet at the same time, I can't pass it up.
Aside from the opportunity to go on an all-expenses-paid-for trip to Da Nang (except for meals I suppose) which sounds like fun, at the back of my mind, I'm curious if I'll be able to do a decent enough job of it eventually and prove to myself that it's only intimidating because it's unfamiliar territory.

In addition, the powers-that-be hv also decided that just so it doesn't look too much like a holiday, I shd prepare a travel story on the side as well while I'm there.

2 weeks for me to go and gather all the material that I'll need.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it easier to relate it to film cameras. White Balance is the same as using filters on the film cameras. Filters to cut out tungsten, or indoor fluorence lighting. U know who to look for if u need maps and info on Danang.

Tym said...

Da Nang! I also want!!

Kiv said...

Apparantly it's not really Danang but Hoi An, which D mentioned is abt an hours' drive away.
And quite a few ppl have told me it's a quaint little town. Nice.
Add to that, I just learnt that I dun really have to do all that much, so I shd relax and go enjoy the holiday.